Sunday, January 1, 2012

NYE - with pictures!!!

I decided to ring in the new year with a night of salsa dancing. It wasn't actually my first choice (due to some selfish - on my part- resentment involving a denied NYE salsa performance last year), but, I'm really glad I went. I had a lot of fun. And was surprisingly very en pointe the whole night! I haven't been salsa dancing much this last year. Very out of practice and VERY out of shape. My poor little feet just don't have the stamina that they used to!!!

Salsa is also a perfect solo-girl activity. Salsa actually has social dance rules so everyone is respectful. And everyone is there to DANCE and not hook up. Plus I always have friends there even when I show up alone, no matter which club I got to. Hubby would probably prefer that go salsa dancing by myself than to a bar with a group of girl friends. Always good, clean fun!

It took me a while to finally decide which dress to wear, my three choices all had pros and cons, but I'm very happy with the decision I made. And also very happy I decided to wear nylons and shorts under it. There was one guy, while very fun to dance with, like to do lifts and deep dips. A lot!


On a side note, I rarely wear lipstick, especially bright red lipstick. But since I had no one to smooch at midnight (and thus get lipstick on him), I decided this dress just called for some bright red lips!

Terrible form on my part, but fun.
He really really wanted to dance with me.

I'm going to be vain and mention that I hate my profile from the right side.

See, much better. And note the "waterfall twist" I figured out with the help from a you tube tutorial. had to get those bangs out of my face for optimal dancing performance. And honestly because I knew they would look nasty by the end of the night. :)

The night started a little slow, it seems like most of the salsa crowd headed over to the other salsa venue in town. Which, actually was good because it meant that there was plenty of room on the dance floor! The place was still plenty full so it was a good party.

I got to see a few people I haven't seen in a while, and met a few new folks who I hope to see out dancing again. It's kind of fun when I show up at the club now-a-days, since I've been out of it for so long. Most of the leads don't know who I am so they are pleasantly surprised when they realize I can actually dance. I was asked by several guys to come back out more often. :) We'll see. ;) 

By the end of the night my feet and ankles were sooooo tied. I could barely dance. I had to muster all my good foot technique to keep from rolling my ankle. Stepping sideways was nearly impossible. At one point I had decided I was done and had taken my shoes off when one of my favorite leads who I hadn't gotten to dance with asked me to dance finally. So I put the shoes back on, then danced a meringue, bachatta, and salsa with him. Then his friend, one of my other favorite leads, grabbed me for another dance. After that, I didn't care who asked, my feet were DONE! 

On another note: about the time I got home I got a text message. My sister FINALLY had her baby! Her water broke on Thursday!!!

Aiden Connor was born 2:45am this morning, 8lbs6oz, 19in. First baby not just at Emanual but in the entire Legacy system of 6 hospitals. Apparently someone at St V's got first in the city though.
Happy New Year every one!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a ton of fun and Congrats! So adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, looks like you had a TON of fun! I can't salsa to save my tush ... but I've found that swing dancing is very much the same: social dancing WITHOUT the fear that someone's really just trying to get up my skirt.

    ReplyDelete