Sunday, August 1, 2010

And he's off!

He left in the wee hours this morning for his second adventure.

I made it up there this weekend to spend on last day with him. I was supposed to get there around 4 on Friday but got stuck in horrible traffic from an accident in Centrailia. I got there about 6:30 - 7.

I don't have stickers for my car to get on base yet because my registration for my car still has my old last name on it. It's a pain to change it when you're still making payments on it, and we plan to have it paid off in a few months so I figured I'd just wait since I'm not up there very often. Usually, i just get a temporary pass at the gate no problem but for whatever reason it confused the guy this time. As i was pulling up, the guy at the gate was kind of eyeballing my car, looking at my windshield where my stickers would be. I put my id out the window for him and just looked at me and asked if he could help me. I gestured with my id to take it. Which he did, then he looked at me oddly and said "you don't have stickers." I said, "No, i don't have stickers, i usually just get a temporary pass." "Oh, you need a temporary pass?" "Yes." "Ok, here's your pass, it goes on your dash" "Yes, thank you."... maybe he was new? Usually, i don't have to ask, they just hand me one when they see my ID but no stickers. I seem to have confused this guy.

So Saturday we spent the morning at the NEX getting last minute things he needed for the underway. One of these items being a sturdy metal waterbottle with a hook for a carabeiner. (You'll understand this if you've been following previous posts) Then we did some laundry and he got to play with the helicopter toy i got him. He was having so much fun! :D Later we went for a drive to see what we could find to do. We found a little town and walked around. They had a small museum, but it closed at 5, and it was just then 5. But, we found a kayak shop that does sunset tours. We're going to go back there for that some time. The rest of the night we just hung out and watched a movie in his barracks. Then i headed home. Got back about 1:30 this morning. It was a good weekend. I can't wait for him to get back. Miss him already.

This underway is pretty short. I obviously can't give a return date on here, but I'm sure he will make calls when he gets back. He'll be back for a little bit then back out again. He seems to be doing really well, is kicking butt, and making a good impression. He's been super busy so he hasn't had time to share stories on the blog. But, in general they all revolve around him doing an awesome job and getting some cool props. I'm so proud of him.

If I get Monkey mail i will pass it along. Until then, it's late and I've got to get to bed. Night all.


  1. It's good that you got to see him, and I'm glad that he's doing well. My best to you both and hopefully I'll see you guys sometime not to long after my return.
    Also, I was reading some of the older posts, he's working in the kitchen on the submarine now?

  2. He's only in the kitchen for now. They call it "cranking", all the new guys have to do it. it's not fun, but he's making the best of it. Totally owning it and kickin' butt as the appropriately self-titled "FSA Extraordinaire" He's almost done with it, then he gets to go do his job.

  3. I'm glad to hear that you guys for the most part (obviously not all the time) are with in driving range to make those trips. I know I've told you Katrina, of all those times i had to drive to Bellingham just to get one night with the love of my life. The time definitely flies while your with them, and at times it really hurts to leave. But no matter what pain leaving does for those brief moments, the happiness and joy you've taken from seeing them is well worth it. I'm really glad to see how in love you two are.